A number of employees of the Galway branch of Target Express have joined the Cork staff for a sit-in.
The haulage company, which ceased trading on Monday, has left almost 400 people without jobs after a debt repayment proposal by the company was reject by the Revenue.
Up to ten former Galway workers, as well as staff from the Dublin and Roscommon depots, have joined the sit-in at the company’s Cork depot.
Speaking to the Galway Independent yesterday, a representative for the Cork workers, Tom Cullen, said the mood at the plan was one of anger and disgruntlement.
“We’re fairly ticked off because what we want is some more respect. We pay our taxes. We want some dialogue with the company,” said Mr Cullen, who said the employees were hearing nothing from the company.
Mr Cullen said the only response the employees had received from the company so far came on Tuesday morning to say that a receiver was on the way and that he or she “would be talking about p45s”.
The issues were brought to light on Monday evening after workers had completed a normal day’s work, he said.
“We came to work as per normal, clocked in, went out and did our deliveries, then from 6 o’clock last night we were told that the company was on a wind down, that talks had broken down with the Revenue and that the company had ceased trading.”
Mr Cullen and his colleagues have set out a roster of three, eight-hour shifts per day and plan on staying there until someone comes down to speak to them about the situation.
“We just want our money, we just want to get paid. We’re owed two weeks already and we’re owed a redundancy,” he said.
Cork City Councillor Chris O’Leary joined the workers yesterday while Labour TD Kieran Lynch and Fianna Fáil TD Michael McGrath are also set to visit the sit-in.