Associated Newspapers has this morning apologised to former Fianna Fáil TD Frank Fahey for “allegations and references” printed in their newspapers over a four-year period.
The former TD, who lost his seat in the 2011 General Election, was the subject of seven articles in the Irish Daily Mail and Irish Mail on Sunday between June 2006 and May 2010, containing a number of “totally unfounded” allegations relating to his actions when he was Minister for the Marine and Natural Resources including the ‘Lost at Sea’ scheme and his pension and tax affairs.
In a statement released this morning, Mr Fahey’s solicitor said that “taken together, these allegations constituted an extremely damaging and completely unjustified attack on my client’s hard earned reputation”.
He also confirmed that the legal action had been settled with a “six figure sum” in damages being paid to Mr Fahey, together with his legal costs, “reflecting the gravity of the slurs on his character and the consequences for him arising from the publication of these outrageous allegations”.
“Frank Fahey, and his father before him, had always acted in what he believed to be the best interests of his constituents in Galway West. He has fought for their interests over a period of many years and was absolutely appalled by the suggestion that he had not acted with the utmost integrity and fairness at all times,” said the solicitor.
“While this comprehensive apology has come very late in the day, my client is nonetheless very satisfied with what is an unequivocal and complete vindication of his reputation. Mr Fahey’s family endured hurtful comments over these false accusations. They and he appreciate the support they received from the people of Galway West during the course of the past six years.”