The Galway County & City Enterprise Board is to roll out of a series of business and technical workshops for the craft and design sector from Tuesday 25 June.
The workshops are designed to fill a gap in training for the crafts and design makers in Galway and have been developed in partnership with the Crafts Council of Ireland with the aim of further supporting the growth and development of the crafts sector and contributing to job creation, infrastructure provision, economic growth and entrepreneurship in Galway and surrounding areas.
Galway County and City Enterprise Board CEO, Breda Fox said the craft and design-focussed workshops reinforce the popular training workshops and networking sessions the agency already run for entrepreneurs and small businesses.
“Workshops are designed to help the entrepreneurs get an idea off the ground or sustain and build an existing business. They are available to entrepreneurs from all types of craft and design backgrounds and businesses.”
Current craft makers who are clients of the GCCEB include Lynsey de Burca (jewellery); Tara Bermingham (Mariposa textiles); Ambrose and Brid O’Halloran (wood carving); Ester Kiely (textiles, wall hangings, covered notebooks, bags, home accessories, fashion accessories); Juliet Ball Pottery); Kinvara Skincare; Touchwood (medal plaques); Matrix Custom Interiors (solid timber picture and photo frames) and Oly Art (animated prints).
Ms Fox said the partnership also provides a mechanism to share resources, information and to extend the reach of the Crafts Council of Ireland to the West of Ireland, of targeted national delivery of training programmes.
The courses will include:
– ‘Effective use of social media in developing and promoting my craft and design enterprise’ facilitated by award-winning entrepreneur Mary Carty on 25 June.
– ‘Product Design and Branding Workshop with Mentoring Clinic’ facilitated by Marianna Kane, product designer and owner of www.designburst.ie, on 2 July.
– ‘Branding and PR for my Craft and Design Enterprise’ facilitated by Noreen D’Arcy, founder of www.darcymarketingandpr.ie, and Jordan Ralph, freelance design consultant and industrial designer, on 9 July.
– ‘Merchandising for Craft and Design Enterprise’ facilitated by Eleanor Harpur, professional interior stylist and retail consultant, on 16 July.
– ‘Exporting my Craft and Design Product’ facilitated by Maeve Ring on 23 July.
– ‘Cost and Pricing for Retail and Gallery’ facilitated by business training mentor Marian McDonald on 30 July.
– ‘Craft, Design and New Technologies’ facilitated by Paul Harrison, founder of a multi-discipline model making studio, on 6 August.
The workshops will take place in Galway City and promise to deliver highly tailored workshops helping crafts and design people to increase their skills in business and technical and design capabilities.
All workshops are subsidised and cost €40 and will run from 10am to 4.30pm in the Galway County and City Enterprise Board, Woodquay Court, Woodquay, Galway.
Places will be allocated on a first come basis. Places are limited and early booking is advised. Priority will be given to candidates from Galway County & City Enterprise Board’s catchment area.
For more information or to book a place, visit www.galwayenterprise.ie or call 091-565269.